A web browser-based search and visualization architecture for complex multilayer linguistic corpora with diverse types of annotation.
ANNIS is an open source project distributed under the Apache Public License, Version 2.0.
Current version: ANNIS 4.10.3
ANNIS requires the Installation of Java OpenJDK 11. If your operating system does not already include Java, we recommend the installation of the open-source and free of charge installers provided at https://adoptium.net/. Starting from ANNIS 4.0.0, instead of using the relational database PostgreSQL, a custom AQL implementation based on graphs called graphANNIS is used. ANNIS 4.10 currently only supports a sub-set of the ANNIS Query language (AQL) compared to the legacy ANNIS version 3.7. Full support is planned, but some backward-compatible features of AQL will only be available in a compatibility mode. See the chapter “Differences in Compatibility Mode” of the User Guide for more information.
Please report any issues in the GitHub issue tracker.
There are two editions of ANNIS, one for the local use on a standard computer (ANNIS Desktop) and one which is only needed when running ANNIS on a server.
- ANNIS Desktop: annis-4.10.3-desktop.jar (local installation for Windows, Linux and Mac, see the user guide for installation instructions)
- ANNIS Server: annis-4.10.3-server.jar (an executable file which starts both the user interface and the backend service, see the user guide for installation and configuration instructions)
What’s new in version 4.10.3?
- Ignore pointing relations when traversing the graph in the RST visualizer. If we include pointing relations and they create cycles, this would result in an error.
- Delete temporary files when exporting/fetching results.
See the change log for changes of all previous versions.
Legacy version: ANNIS 3.7.1
This version requires a PostgreSQL installation to run. PostgreSQL versions 9.4 to 14 are supported. The ANNIS the server version (but not the desktop kickstarter) also requires a running web-server (e.g. Apache Tomcat or Jetty). Both versions require the Installation of Java OpenJDK 8. If your operating system does already include Java. we recommend the installation of the open-source and free of charge installers provided at https://adoptium.net/.
For installation instructions see the Installation section in the User Guide. There are two editions of ANNIS, one for the local use on a standard computer (ANNIS Kickstarter) and one which is only needed when running a web-server.
- ANNIS Kickstarter: annis-kickstarter-3.7.1-distribution.zip (local installation for Windows, Linux and Mac)
- ANNIS server:
Source code (including the latest experimental developments) is available together with our bugtracker/feature requests (‘issues’) at our GitHub project.
Older versions of ANNIS can be downloaded from https://github.com/korpling/ANNIS/releases.
For corpora to be imported into the system, they must be converted into it’s native relational database format using the Pepper converter.
- Concatenation script in Perl to merge multiple relAnnis corpora (creates one big corpus containing input relANNIS corpora as subcorpora)s
- Excel Plugin (EXMARaLDA <> Excel and Excel to PAULA XML; Windows only)
Further documentation on the PAULA XML format may be found here.